Sunday, June 1, 2008

Monkeying Around

I'm in Indianapolis for my birthday weekend, celebrating with hubby and dear friends. I'm the princess in a crowd of men -- my favorite role to play! My female friend was supposed to join us but got sick at the last moment, so I've had to make do. As if that's a problem!

Hubby's celebrating #40 and I'm celebrating #35. And, of course, our dear adopted daughter, KellyJane, is celebrating #1. I should mention, KellyJane is not, in the traditional sense, a live person. She is a pig. Literally. And a stuffed one at that. But, she warms our hearts and we take her with us on trips. This is the extent to which we're able to commit to parenthood amidst our busy lifestyles -- and at least we recognize that! It's also the first step on an escalating scale of responsibility (followed by plants, live animals, then adopted children). Thus far, we seem to be destined to have a collection of stuffed animals at our house. The plant development isn't going so well. Who knew that a cutting would eventually need to be planted in soil?!

Back to the weekend . . . There's been cake (and s'mores) and veggies (vegetarian friendly party) and drinking for those who imbibe (not I!). Plenty of games, including my new Kingdom Hearts for PS2 (gimme a break, I'm a newbie). Good friends, lots of hugs, much laughter, and a little craziness (hubby and friend took an after-hours moonlight swim). My GPS did well in helping me navigate the city on my own. It's been a wonderful get-away.

Looking back on the past year -- and forward to the coming one -- I've decided that sometimes you have to monkey around a little. Had the water been a little warmer last night, I would have joined the moonlight swim, as daring and delightful as it was. I won't go out of my way to seek risk-taking opportunities, nor will I abandon common sense, but . . . . Hey, if I can take a jeep tour of Arizona this week, see the wonderful desert and mountains, I sure will! And next spring, for my friend D's 40th, I'd be up for trying skydiving :-) You only live once, and the point is to live with memories, not regrets.

No comments: